Meretz UK is one of 27 Jewish organisations who have signed on to a letter from the J-Link coalition to Benny Gantz, Chairman of the Knesset, dated April 14, 2020. The text urges him to oppose any attempt to annex land in the territories.
You can read the letter below. After the list of organisations, see also a description of the aims and ethos of J-Link.
With the support of Hashomer Hatzair Trust UK
PROGRESSIVE JEWISH ORGANIZATIONS ARE CALLING ON YOU
TO SAY “NO” to UNILATERAL ANNEXATION
April 14, 2020
Dear Benny Gantz, Chairman of the Knesset,
Passover is a time for Jews to reflect on our commitment to freedom, justice, security, and a yearning for a national homeland. There is now an imminent threat to these cherished values. According to the recent coalition draft, your proposed emergency unity government will introduce a bill in the Knesset within the next three months to annex parts of the West Bank. This will happen without negotiations with the Palestinians, contrary to UN resolutions and international law. A simple majority in the Knesset will end the possibility of a viable two- state solution.
What can we do? We are calling on you to join us in saying, “NO to unilateral annexation”.
Why is this important?
- Annexation extends the occupation and denies Palestinians the right to self-determination, a desire that was fulfilled for the Jewish people after 2,000 years.
- Israel has had peace and diplomatic relations with Egypt for almost 40 years and with Jordan for 25 years. The absence of war and the vastly important security relations with these two countries has greatly reduced Israel’s security threats. Jordan and Egypt, as well as Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf countries, will not sit by and accept this flagrant breach of law and justice. There is also the danger of domestic instability and the outburst of violence among the Palestinians and within Jordan.
- Israel’s actions flout international law and gravely breach human rights; as a result, they hurt Israel’s own democracy and could strain its relations with democratic countries around the world.
We all hope that the next generation of Jewish young people will share our deep commitment to Israel. To sustain such a commitment of progressive Jews now and in the future, you need to say: “NO to unilateral annexation!”
J-Link Coordinating Committee
- Ameinu Australia
- Ameinu Canada
- Ameinu United States
- Canadian Friends of Peace Now
- Casa de Cultura (Uruguay)
- Habonim Dror South Africa
- Hashomer Hatzair World Movement
- J-AMLAT (Latin America)
- Jcall Europe
- Jcall France
- Jcall Italy
- Jcall Spain
- Jcall Switzerland
- Jewish Democratic Initiative (South Africa)
- Jewish Labor Committee (United States)
- J Street
- La paix maintenant – Peace Now (France)
- Meretz Australia
- Meretz France
- Meretz UK
- Meretz Uruguay
- New Israel Fund
- Partners for Progressive Israel (United States)
- Policy Working Group (Israel)
- Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association (United States)
- Truah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights (United States)
What is J-Link?
J-Link is an international network of progressive Jewish organizations from Israel, the United States, Canada, Europe, Latin America, South Africa, and Australia. We share a love of Israel and a commitment to democracy, human rights, religious pluralism, and a peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through the creation of a Palestinian state alongside Israel. J-Link aspires to work with our respective local Jewish communities, our national governments and international organizations to advocate for our values and vision for Israel.